A host family, with heart and soul
This explains how we have been able to make the long history of the Gambswirt so clearly tangible, even after our various renovations and modernizations. The building is actually one of the oldest in Tamsweg, making its own distinctive contribution to the visual impression of the town – along with several other old merchants’ homes flanking the market square. Originally built in the 14th century, numerous owners are documented. Farmer Gambs from Lessach is one of the better-known former proprietors – and from whom we may fairly assume that the “Gambswirt” derives its name.
In 1949, the start of the Maier era began with purchase of the building by the family of Anna Stahbauer and Karl Maier from Mondsee. Since then, the Gambswirt has been a focal point of social life for the entire Lungau region.
In 1966, the family's property holdings grew through purchase of agriculture land known as the "Lerchpoint".
In 1978, Hermann Maier Senior took over the Gambswirt and, together with his wife Gusti, led the inn through four eventful decades. In the process, they passed the same passion for hospitality on to their children Christine, Hermann and Elisabeth.
In 2018, it was finally time to place the fortunes of the family business in younger hands: those of Hermanny Junior. He took over the wonderful task of leading Hotel & Restaurant Gambswirt - which had since become such a beloved place of encounter - into an even brighter future.